Prairie View A&M starts their 2012-2013 season on November 9 in Lubbock against Texas Tech. When they take the floor, the Panthers will be looking to match or perhaps beat their 2011-2012 campaign. They hope the loss of 18% of last season's minutes will be offset by the emergence of three incoming freshmen.
The largest gap to fill for Prairie View A&M will be on defense, as the team lost 21.3% of their shot blocking. Equally as concerning is rebounding, where they lost 21% of last year's output.
Prairie View A&M finished with a final overall record of 14-17 last season and were 4th in the SWAC with a conference record of 10-8. In the postseason, the Panthers were booted from the SWAC tournament by Alcorn State, 103-79. Prairie View A&M will feel the loss of last year's seniors Michael Griffin (13 minutes per game), Tim Meadows (12 MPG), and Marvin Adu (5 MPG). The Panthers will also have to get by without Cortney Bell (11 MPG), Marcellus Jackson (9 MPG), and Jayvian Scranton (3 MPG), who left the team.
The Panthers bring back senior Ryan Gesiakowski (9.5 points/game), junior Jules Montgomery (5.8 points/game), senior Jourdan DeMuynck (10.1 points/game), senior Ronald Wright (2.5 assists/game), and junior Demondre Chapman (8.4 points/game).
Incoming freshmen joining the Panthers include 6-2 Babajidne Aina, 6-4 Cory Jones, and 6-7 Wesley Afolayan. The team also gets 6-10 junior Josh Eleby, 6-0 junior John Love, 6-2 junior Carl Blair Jr (transferred from Oklahoma), 6-8 junior Patrick Agho, and 6-8 junior Rasi Jenkins.
The Panthers have one game on the schedule against an AP preseason Top 25 team, at #13 UCLA on December 15th. Prairie View A&M will start SWAC play on January 2nd at Alcorn State.
Tags: Michael Griffin
- Since 2002, Prairie View A&M has an overall winning percentage of 35.6%. The Panthers have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 41.4%.
- The Panthers have an average conference finish of 5.2 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 6.6.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 252.9.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is California (#47).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Alabama A&M (#342).
- The last time Prairie View A&M returned more than 83% of the team's statistical production was 1997-1998.
, Tim Meadows
, Marvin Adu
, Cortney Bell
, Marcellus Jackson
, Jayvian Scranton
, Ryan Gesiakowski
, Jules Montgomery
, Jourdan DeMuynck
, Ronald Wright
, Demondre Chapman
, Babajidne Aina
, Cory Jones
, Wesley Afolayan
, Josh Eleby
, John Love
, Carl Blair Jr
, Patrick Agho
, Rasi Jenkins